Spanish Court Orders Jail for Ex-Minister in Graft Investigation
By Global Leaders Insights Team | Nov 28, 2025
Spain’s Supreme Court on Thursday ordered former Transport Minister José Luis Ábalos into pre-trial detention after prosecutors argued there was a flight risk and possible interference with the corruption investigation.
Prosecutors are seeking a 24-year prison sentence over alleged fraud linked to government mask procurement during the COVID-19 pandemic. Ábalos previously held a senior position in the ruling Socialist Party and was a close ally of Prime Minister Pedro Sánchez.
The case focuses on public contracts awarded during the pandemic, when urgency allowed emergency procedures and fewer transparency safeguards.
According to the indictment, Ábalos, his former adviser Koldo García, and businessman Víctor de Aldama coordinated to secure inflated contracts for medical supplies, including protective masks.
- Former minister faces pre-trial detention over alleged COVID-era fraud
- Prosecutors seek 24-year sentence in high-profile corruption probe
- Case fuels political pressure as opposition demands accountability
Prosecutors allege the network benefited from commissions and undue payments while companies with political access received favourable treatment. The case includes phone records, financial transfers and internal ministry correspondence. Ábalos denies wrongdoing and claims the case is politically motivated. García also rejects the allegations and says procurement decisions were handled by technical officials.
The arrest intensifies scrutiny of the government and adds pressure on Sánchez as opposition parties call for accountability and a parliamentary inquiry. The conservative People’s Party said the detention confirms “systemic corruption” within the ruling bloc, while the Socialist Party stated it respects the judicial process and distances itself from Ábalos, who resigned from parliament earlier this year.
Also Read: Trump Asks Japan to Tone Down Taiwan Comments Amid China Tensions
The investigation continues, and additional witnesses, including former civil servants and business executives, are expected to testify in the coming weeks. The court has not set a trial date. Prosecutors say the case reflects broader concerns about emergency procurement oversight during the pandemic and the potential misuse of public spending during crisis-level contracting.
.jpg)



