South Korea's Ex-President Yoon Indicted on New Charges

By Global Leaders Insights Team | Nov 11, 2025

Former South Korean President Yoon Suk-yeol has been indicted by the special prosecutor’s office on new charges of abusing power and aiding an enemy state, officials said on Monday.

The charges stem from Yoon’s brief declaration of martial law last year, which prosecutors say was part of a plan to heighten military tensions between North Korea and South Korea.

Investigators said evidence from a military official’s phone mentioned “drones” and “surgical strike” as possible provocations against the North.

Yoon, who was removed from office by the Constitutional Court in April, is already on trial for insurrection. If convicted, he could face the death penalty. The new charges add to what has become one of South Korea’s most high-profile political cases.

  • Ex-President Yoon indicted for abuse of power, aiding enemy state amid probe
  • Prosecutors allege Yoon staged North Korea tensions to justify martial law
  • Yoon faces death penalty as South Korea’s political turmoil intensifies

Also indicted are former Defence Minister Kim Yong-hyun and former military intelligence chief Yeo In-hyung. Prosecutors allege the three coordinated efforts to create artificial conflict with North Korea to justify martial law.

The military declined to comment on claims that drones were sent into North Korea. The North has previously accused Seoul of crossing its border with unmanned aircraft.

Yoon has denied wrongdoing, saying the martial-law decree was meant to expose corruption among opposition politicians and safeguard democratic order, not seize control.

Also Read: Senate Passes Deal to End U.S. Government Shutdown

The case has deepened debate in South Korea over presidential authority, accountability, and the country’s fragile balance between security and democracy.