Philippines' Marcos Vows Tough Crackdown on Infrastructure Corrup
By Global Leaders Insights Team | Sep 15, 2025
President Ferdinand Marcos Jr. made a heartfelt promise to tackle corruption in the Philippines’ infrastructure projects, vowing that “nobody will escape accountability.”
Speaking at a press conference in Manila, Marcos called the investigation a critical moment to rebuild the trust of Filipinos, who are frustrated by billions of pesos in misused public funds.
The probe, led by a respected former Supreme Court justice, zeroes in on flood control projects that have left people angry after heavy rains and storms flooded communities earlier this year.
Since 2022, the government has spent 545 billion pesos ($9.52 billion) on these projects, but many were never built, and a staggering 20% of the budget went to just 15 contractors. This has fueled accusations of corruption and favoritism.
- Marcos Vows Crackdown on Corruption in Philippines Infrastructure Projects
- Philippines President Marcos Scraps 2026 Flood Projects Amid Graft Probe
- Marcos Pledges Accountability as Infrastructure Corruption Scandal Unfolds
“Nobody gets a free pass,” Marcos said plainly. “This isn’t about politics. It’s about simple math—figuring out how much public money was stolen and fixing it.” Recent congressional hearings have pointed to some well-known political figures, a sign that this investigation might actually lead somewhere, unlike past efforts that often stalled.
In a surprising move, Marcos scrapped all flood control projects planned for 2026, choosing instead to redirect the money to schools, hospitals, and farming. The decision comes as church groups and activists prepare for anti-corruption rallies on September 21—a date that carries weight as it marks the anniversary of martial law declared by Marcos’s father in 1972, a time many associate with corruption and abuse.
Also Read: Scott Bessent Reveals Trump's Plan for Faster Social Security Payments
Marcos encouraged protesters to express their anger peacefully, pointing to recent unrest in places like Nepal and Indonesia.“Speak out, hold people accountable,” he said. “If I weren’t president, I’d probably be out there with you.”
This investigation could shape Marcos’s presidency, which has focused heavily on infrastructure through the “Build Better More” program. Critics argue the scandals hurt efforts to modernize the country, while supporters see the probe as a real effort to clean things up. As the investigation moves forward, Filipinos are watching to see if it will bring real change or just more promises.
.jpg)



