Hegseth Calls for Halt in US Cyber-Offensive Against Russia
By Global Leaders Insights Team | Mar 03, 2025
Officials say the Trump administration has paused its offensive cyber operations against Russia as diplomatic efforts to end the war in Ukraine continue.
The reason behind the pause has not been publicly disclosed, and it is unclear how long it will last. The Department of Defense has declined to comment.
The directive was reportedly issued before Trump had a televised confrontation with Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky at the White House on Friday.
Since returning to office, Trump has significantly softened the U.S. stance towards Moscow in an effort to negotiate a deal to end the war, which began with Russia's full-scale invasion over three years ago.
He seemed to align with Moscow's rationale for initiating the war and revealed plans to meet with President Vladimir Putin. The U.S. has also supported Russia in recent United Nations votes concerning the conflict.
Simultaneously, Trump has referred to Zelensky as a dictator and accused him of "gambling with World War Three" during their heated exchange in the Oval Office on Friday.
The pause in U.S. cyber operations against Russia came from Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth in new directives to U.S. Cyber Command, officials told the BBC's U.S. partner, CBS News.
This raises concerns about the effectiveness of the U.S. response to alleged Russian cyberattacks, election interference, and sabotage efforts targeting Western nations that have supported Ukraine during the war.
According to The Record, a cybersecurity publication that first reported the news, Hegseth's order could impact hundreds or even thousands of personnel. Operations aimed at bolstering Ukraine’s digital defenses are likely to be among those affected.
A senior defense department official stated that they would not comment on the matter due to operational concerns, but emphasized, "The safety of the Warfighter in all operations, including the cyber domain, is Secretary Hegseth’s top priority."
National Security Adviser Mike Waltz denied that any policy change had been discussed, but acknowledged in an interview with CNN that "all kinds of carrots and sticks" would be used to bring an end to the war.
Senior members of Trump’s team, who met with their Russian counterparts in Saudi Arabia last month while excluding the Ukrainians, have recently defended their broader shift in approach toward Moscow.
Secretary of State Marco Rubio told ABC, "You’re not going to bring the Russians to the table by calling them names or being antagonistic. That’s just the president’s instinct from years of brokering deals."
In a statement to the New York Times, senior Democrat Chuck Schumer, the House minority leader, called the move "a critical strategic mistake."
Schumer added that Trump appeared to be giving Putin "a free pass as Russia continues to launch cyberattacks and ransomware assaults against vital American infrastructure."
.jpg)



