Germany's Merz Backs Tougher Social Media Age Limits for Children

By Global Leaders Insights Team | Feb 19, 2026

German Chancellor Friedrich Merz has joined growing calls for stricter limits on children’s access to social media, signalling a tougher stance by Europe’s largest economy on online youth protection.

Speaking ahead of the Christian Democratic Union’s (CDU) annual party conference, Merz said political leaders had underestimated the scale of risks posed by social media platforms.

He pointed to the role of algorithms, artificial intelligence, misinformation and targeted influence in shaping young users’ behaviour, arguing that unrestricted access can cause lasting harm.

 

  • Merz advocates for stricter social media age limits in Germany
  • Germany debates social media bans for children under 16
  • Friedrich Merz calls for stronger youth protection against social media risks

Merz cited studies showing that German teenagers spend several hours a day online, much of it on social platforms. He said this level of exposure makes children vulnerable to manipulation, harmful content and addictive design features. Comparing social media access to alcohol consumption, Merz said society would not allow minors unrestricted access to substances known to cause harm, and the same logic should apply online.

The CDU is preparing to debate proposals that would ban children under the age of 16 from platforms such as TikTok and Instagram. Merz’s comments mark a shift from earlier positions within the party, reflecting broader concern across the political spectrum. Coalition partners in the Social Democratic Party have also proposed age-based restrictions, including a possible ban for under-14s and stronger safeguards for older teenagers.

Supporters of the proposals argue that parental controls and self-regulation by platforms have failed to keep pace with rapid technological change. Merz rejected the idea that gradual exposure with guidance alone was sufficient, saying the business models of major platforms were designed to maximise engagement rather than protect users.

Any nationwide restrictions would require coordination with Germany’s federal states, which are responsible for media regulation. A government-appointed commission reviewing online child protection measures is expected to publish recommendations later this year, which could shape future legislation.

Also Read: Bill Gates Cancels India AI Summit Keynote Amid Event Challenges

Germany’s debate mirrors a wider European trend. Several countries, including France and Spain, are examining similar limits, following Australia’s move last year to restrict social media access for users under 16. The issue is increasingly seen as a public policy challenge rather than a matter of personal choice.